Thursday, July 26, 2012

Trip to Biltmore

John and I got away for our first time for a few days in a very long time.  It was to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (even though it happened back in December).  Since we had just moved across the country a couple weeks before we decided to keep it simple and go someplace close while my mom watched the kids.  We visited Biltmore, home of the Vanderbilts and one of the largest homes in America.  We toured the inside of the house, which was amazing but you are not allowed to take any pictures.  So, all our pictures are of the grounds, which are extensive and breathtaking. 
Below is the view from the back of the house.  It was such a pretty time of year to visit there and the weather wasn't too horribly hot for July in the south.
Above are some koi and lily ponds off the side of the front of the house.  Some of the lily pads were huge.  Below, are some of the beautiful flower gardens.
They also had several greenhouses growing all sorts of interesting plants - I wish I knew more about plants so I could tell you exactly what they had.
If you walk a ways in the grounds to come to a pretty pond with a special filtration system established by the Vanderbilts and a man-made waterfall.
It was a really fun trip and we loved just being able to get away together.  I can't wait to do something like it again. :)

No comments: